Kanab, Utah's Weekly Newspaper, Serving Kane County, Utah & the Arizona Strip
Calendar of Events
Southern Utah News Front Page: February 15, 2018
Kanab Balloons and Tunes Roundup soaring to greater heights
There will be balloons galore flying over Kanab this weekend as the fourth annual Balloons and Tunes Roundup begins this Friday morning, with liftoff at 7:30 a.m. Weather permitting, there will also be balloons taking to the skies on Saturday and Sunday mornings as well. Then head on down to Main Street where 12 bands will battle it out.
By Karen Williams
Come to the 4th annual Kanab Balloons and Tunes Roundup during President’s Day Weekend, Friday, February 16-Sunday, February 18. See bright, beautiful hot air balloons, and rock out to the music from the Battle of the Bands!
The hot air balloons will launch each morning just after sunrise (weather permitting) at approximately 7:30 a.m. The colorful balloons will fly with a beautiful backdrop of the red rock vermilion cliffs, located near the scenic Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument Visitor Center, with the added beauty of early morning light.
After enjoying the balloons, check out the tunes at the Battle of the Bands Friday and Saturday on North Main Street. Listen to 12 different bands compete on the outdoor stage for free all day. Purchase a Balloons and Tunes T-shirt for the opportunity to cast a vote for your favorite band.
Don’t forget to check out the Street Fair, also located on Main Street, for a variety of vendors selling food, art and one-of-a-kind crafts throughout the weekend.
The festivities will continue Saturday night with the Balloon Glow at 7 p.m. The pilots will line Center Street and light up their balloons for all to enjoy. To finish an amazing evening, there will be a Wishing Lantern Launch on Center Street at 8 p.m. Lanterns will be available for purchase at the Street Fair. Write your wish on it, launch it with a friend, and watch the lanterns fill the night sky.
Sunday morning the balloons will have their final launch, filling the sky with a kaleidoscope of color, to be seen by all in Magically Unspoiled Kanab.
With so many great activities going on you’ll want to stay the whole weekend, so book a room today! For more information about the Kanab Balloons and Tunes Roundup, or lodging in Kanab, go to www.balloonsandtunesroundup.com.
Schedule of Events
Friday, February 16
• 7:30 a.m. - Media and VIP Flight Balloon Launch*
• 3-9 p.m. - Battle of the Bands and Street Fair on Main Street (north of Center Street intersection)
• 4:40 and 5:40 p.m. - Studio 12 Dancers on Main Street
Saturday, February 17
• 7:30 am - Sponsor and Competition Day Balloon Launch*
• 11 a.m.-9 p.m. - Street Fair on Main Street
• 11 a.m.-5 p.m. - Battle of the Bands on Main Street
• 12:40 and 1:40 p.m. – Studio 12 Dancers on Main Street
• 5-6 p.m. - Red Rock Dancers on Main Street
• 6-9 p.m. - Top 3 Bands Exhibition Performances
• 7-8 pm - Balloon Glow on Center Street*
• 8-9 pm - Lantern Launch*
Sunday, February 18
• 7:30 a.m. - Crew Appreciation Balloon Launch*
• 9-11 a.m. - Crew Appreciation Brunch at Juniper Ridge
*Weather permitting, Balloon Launch site (Coral Cliffs Golf Course)