The Kanab Cowboys picked up their third straight win of the year with a 35-14 shellacking of the Grand Red Devils last Friday night.

Coach Bucky Orton told his players after the game that they are getting to be a pretty good team, and they were surprising a lot of people, himself included. “Grand put eight players in the box, daring us to pass after we ran for over 300 yards last week against Parowan. So, what did we do, we passed for over 300 yards tonight,” said Orton.

They will find out just how good they are this Friday when they travel to Blanding to take on the two-time defending state champion San Juan Broncos.

Grand did hold the Cowboys to just 76 yards rushing on 26 carries, but junior quarterback Brandon Jenson threw for 321 yards and two touchdowns on 18 of 32 attempts. Jenson also scored a touchdown on the ground, scampering in from two yards out after rolling out to pass.

James Anderson led the tough Cowboy defense with nine tackles, including three for losses.

Kanab got off to a great start when Brandon Nielson took the opening kickoff and busted through a perfectly formed wedge to take it to the house from 90 yards away to give the home team a quick 6-0 lead.

The Cowboys scored their second touchdown on their first play after receiving a Grand punt on their own 40 yard line. Actually, it was their second play...the first play was a five yard penalty on Grand for having 12 players on the field. It was Nielson scoring again, this time on a beautiful 55 yard pass from Jenson to make it 12-0. A two-point conversion pass from Jenson to Anderson made it 14-0 with 2:18 left in the first period.

The third touchdown came on a nifty two minute drill with 1:41 left in the first half when Jenson hooked up with Anderson on a 13 yard scoring toss to make it 21-0 at the break. After one run netted two yards, Jenson rifled four consecutive passes, completed to four different receivers, covering the final 65 yards, without an incompletion. The drive took all of one minute and 32 seconds, with completions of 12 yards to Hayden Jones, 16 yards to Merrill Terry and 25 yards to Jared Southwick, before the scoring strike to Anderson.

Grand’s coaches must have had a pretty good halftime talk with their players as the Red Devils took the second half kickoff on their own 35 and marched right down the field to score on an eight yard touchdown run by Xavier Mason. The score came with 7:47 left in the third quarter to make it 21-7.

Kyle Livingston recovered a fumble on the Grand 48 later in the period and Kanab drove down to score on a two yard scamper by Jenson to make it 28-7. A 16 yard pass play from Jenson to Terry, and a 14 yard connection from Jenson to Jones were the two big plays on the drive. There was also a huge pass interference call on Grand with the Cowboys facing a fourth and 16.

Red Devil running back Mason broke free for a 41 yard touchdown gallop with 3:17 left in the game to make the score 28-14.

Kanab’s final touchdown came with 1:09 left on the clock when Josh Urianza broke a tackle and got to the outside, sprinting to the end zone from 28 yards away to make the final 35-14.