The Kanab Cowboys defeated South Sevier 39-28 last Thursday night to secure a spot in the 2-A playoffs.

With the victory, Kanab tied Beaver and Parowan for third place in the west region with a 2-3 record. Beaver won the first coin toss for third place, and then Kanab took the fourth seed (and home field) on the final coin toss with Parowan. That means the Cowboys will host the east region #5 seed Gunnison Bulldogs this Friday night at 7 p.m. at Arlyn Hafen Stadium in the first round of the playoffs.

In the big win over South Sevier, senior fullback Cody Barber led the Cowboys with four touchdowns, rushing for a season high 215 yards.

Coach Bucky Orton said, “Cody had a great game, a breakout game for him. Definitely his best game of the year.”

Kanab got on the scoreboard first with an 11 yard pass from Kade Quarnberg to Kyson McBride with 1:30 left in the first period. The extra point try was no good and Kanab led 6-0 after one.

Late in the second quarter, the same duo hooked up on a 46 yard pass play. The touchdown play came with 1:37 left in the first half. A Barber two-point conversion run gave the Cowboys a 14-0 lead.

Kanab let South Sevier back in the game when they scored a touchdown with eight seconds left on the clock. Baker hauled in a six yard pass from Palmer. The extra point try was no good and Kanab led 14-6 at the break.

Barber capped off a nice drive with a one yard plunge to put Kanab up 20-6 with 4:40 left in the third frame. This was the only score of the quarter.

Most of the action in this game came in the fourth period, when the two teams combined for 41 points.

Barber ran one in from 52 yards out to put Kanab ahead 27-6. The Rams Palmer and Baker hooked up again, this time from 13 yards out, to make it 27-12.

Kanab answered their score with a 21 yard Barber touchdown run with 3:29 left in the game to put the Cowboys comfortably ahead 33-12.

Baker ran the following kickoff back 80 yards for a score and suddenly South Sevier was within 33-20 with a successful two-point conversion.

Coach Orton said, “We were trying to rest some of our players in the fourth quarter, and we put four freshmen on the kickoff team. After their TD return, we could have made some changes, but we left them in to get the experience and told them to make some tackles.”

Once again, Kanab answered, with Barber ripping off another touchdown gallop, this time for 50 yards out, just 10 seconds after the kickoff return by the Rams. The score put Kanab back ahead by three scores, 39-20.

South Sevier scored once more, but it came with 24 seconds left in the game. The eight yard touchdown pass from Palmer to Owens, together with another two-point conversion, made the final 39-28, not as close as the final score might indicate.