Cowboy head coach Bucky Orton gambled on a go-ahead two point conversion in the last few minutes of their football game with Beaver last Friday night. There was no payoff however, as Kanab quarterback Kade Quarnberg was tackled one yard short, giving Beaver a one point 35-34 victory over the visiting Cowboys.

Kanab came back from a 14 point deficit in the fourth quarter, outscoring Beaver 20-7, before falling one point short.

Coach Orton was mostly pleased with his team’s effort, saying, “We showed a lot of inprovement. We are getting better each week, so that’s promising. But we are still struggling with our tackling. We have to get better at tackling.”

Receiver Kyson McBride played a huge game for the Cowboys, as he hauled in nine of Quarnberg’s passes for 220 yards and two touchdowns, one good for 81 yards.

The Kanab offense played well, generating 463 yards, with 265 coming through the air, and 198 via the ground game. The Cowboys only had to punt twice in the game.

Senior fullback Cody Barber led the rushing attack with 93 yards on 19 carries, while Helaman Garcia added 81 yards on 15 carries.

Beaver got on the scoreboard first on a 13 yard run by Yardley with 9:08 left in the opening period. On their next series, Yardley broke free on a 68 yard gallop to paydirt. With 5:34 left in the first frame, Beaver led 14-0.

Kanab struck back quickly, less than a minute later, when Quarnberg hooked up with McBride on an 81 yard scoring play to cut the deficit to 14-7.

With 5:02 left in the second quarter, Barber ripped off a 45 yard run to the end zone to knot the score at 14-14.

It was Beaver’s turn to respond, and they scored two minutes later on a one yard plunge by workhorse Yardley to retake the lead. The extra point try was no good and Beaver led 20-14.

The only score of the third quarter came with 8:56 on the clock when Edwards ran it in from 15 yards out. The two-point conversion was good and Beaver led 28-14 heading into the final period.

Just 24 seconds into the fourth frame, Quarnberg ran it in from four yards out to get the Cowboys within seven points, 28-21.

On Kanab’s next possession, Barber capped off a nice drive with a one yard plunge to knot the game once again, 28-28. The score came with 8:13 left in the contest.

It took Beaver only two minutes and 20 seconds to retake the lead on a five yard dash by Gibson. The important extra point was good and Beaver led 35-28 with 5:53 left to play.

Kanab answered the call once again with 2:42 left on the clock when Quarnberg hit McBride with a 19 yard pass in the end zone, setting the stage for two-point try, as coach Orton decided to go for the lead instead of kicking the tying extra point. It almost worked, but Quarnberg was tackled one yard short.

In the evenly matched battle, Kanab outgained the Beavers in total yardage, 463 to 371. But Kanab could not stop the Beaver rushing attack, as they gained 351 yards on the ground. Kanab picked up 19 first downs to Beaver’s 15.

Beaver won the turnover battle, 3-1, recovering two fumbles and one interception.

Braden Crosby came up big on defense with six tackles and three assists, including one sack and two tackles for loss.

McBride also played well on defense, with seven solo tackles and one assist.

This week, Kanab hosts Millard, always a tough team to play, on Friday with kickoff slated for 7 p.m. at Arlyn Hafen Stadium. Come on out and cheer for the Cowboys!