The Kanab Cowboys, led by a suddenly potent rushing attack, beat the Parowan Rams last Friday night 28-21 in an exciting Homecoming game. The last time the Rams have beaten the Cowboys was 34 years ago, in 1976.

One hundred forty two pound running back Helaman Garcia scored two touchdowns 21 seconds apart late in the third quarter to give Kanab a comfortable 28-7 lead. Or that’s what it looked like. Parowan was not going to give up, as they scored two touchdowns and had a third one called back.

But the Cowboys did prevail, when Braden Crosby recovered Ram quarterback Zack Wood’s third fumble of the game on the Kanab 13 yard line with 1:12 left in the game. The Cowboys ran out the clock to get the hard-earned 28-21 victory.

Coach Bucky Orton was estatic after the game, telling his players, “You made one more big play than Parowan did tonight. I’m proud of you guys!”

Kanab got on the scoreboard first when quarterback Kade Quarnberg connected with wide receiver Kyson McBride in the corner of the end zone for an eight yard pass with 1:33 left in the first quarter. A Brandon Jenson extra point made it 7-0.

Early in the second period, Parowan had excellent field position after receiving a Cowboy punt on the Kanab 47 yard line. The Rams drove all the way down to the 10 yard line before Garcia came up big on defense, intercepting a Wood pass in the end zone, returning it to the 13.

One play later, Wood redeemed himself when he picked off a short Quarnberg pass on the 15 and ran it into the end zone to knot the game at 7-7.

Kanab answered with a quick touchdown 1:10 later when fullback Cody Barber busted through the middle of the Ram defense and was off the races, galloping 40 yards to paydirt to give the Cowboys a 14-7 lead with 5:48 until halftime.

Kanab’s defense bent on the Ram’s next drive, but held when they reached the Cowboy nine yard line. The big play on the Parowan drive was a 42 yard pass from Wood to Trexton Lozano. A holding penalty pushed them back to the 22 and their 39 yard field attempt was no good. Kanab led at the break 14-7.

After holding Parowan and forcing a punt to begin the second half, the Cowboys started on their own 33. A 17 yard run by Garcia put them at midfield. A run by Barber good for 14 yards had Kanab on the 34. After a five yard penalty on the Cowboys, Garica ripped off another 17 yard gain to the 22. Quarnberg picked up nine yards scrambling while trying to pass and Barber picked up the first down on the next play. With 7:16 left in the third, Garcia scored a touchdown from four yards out to make it 21-7.

After the ensuing kickoff, Wood fumbled on the first play and Kanab recovered on the 23. Garcia took the ball on a counter, cut back and ran untouched into the end zone from there to give the Cowboys a 28-7 lead with 6:55 left in the third.

While Kanab’s offense was done for the evening, Parowan’s wasn’t. It didn’t take them long either, with Wood hooking up with running back Caden Pickett on a 38 yard touchdown pass with 3:47 left in the third to cut the deficit to 28-14.

A short punt following the next Kanab possession found the Rams at the 50. After driving down to the Cowboy 35, Wood connected with Ryan Robinson for a touchdown to bring Parowan within seven points, 28-21, with 8:21 left in the game.

Three plays and another short punt and the Rams were back in business on the Kanab 48 with 6:20 on the clock. A Wood quarterback draw on fourth and 1 gained 16 yards to the Kanab 23. On the next play, he ran another draw into the end zone, but Parowan was whistled for an illegal formation penalty and the touchdown was called back, setting up the fumble several plays later.