“From 1951 to 1962 the United States government conducted above-ground nuclear testing in Nye County, Nevada, at the Nevada Test Site - which is directly west of Washington, Iron and Kane Counties in southern Utah. During this testing, the fallout, containing 19 radioactive materials, blanketed southwestern Utah, northern Arizona and southeastern Nevada.” (Taken from an abstract for RESEP)

The Radiation Exposure Screening and Education Program’s (RESEP) purpose is to aid those who were exposed to nuclear testing or uranium workers. The program’s clinics provide screening and education under the direction of a physician to those who qualify, with recommendations for follow-up care as needed.

This program is funded through a grant from HRSA and presented to us through Dixie Regional Medical Center. There are two distinct parts to this program/clinic; Radiation Exposure Compensation Act (RECA) and RESEP. RECA compensates those who have developed one of 19 cancers caused by exposure to radiation. RESEP gives patients an extensive cancer screening physical, as well as an education regarding their risk factors for cancer.

Becky Barlow, RN, directs our regional program, with the assistance of Carolyn Rasmussen, RN. Barlow and Rasmussen are two of 17 nurses nationwide who are certified in both pediatric and adult oncology.

Barlow explained, “The categories that qualify for RESEP exam are: Downwinders, those who were on-site, residents of Washington, Iron, Kane, Beaver, and Garfield Counties in Utah, Mohave County north of Grand Canyon, residents of Fredonia, and residents for Nye and Lincoln Counties in Nevada. Also included are Uranium industry workers who were miners, ore transporters, or millers of uranium for at least one year from 1942 through 1971.”

Because these clinics are funded through a grant, there are no fees charged to patients who qualify.

Kane County Hospital, in conjunction with Dixie Regional Medical Center, will be hosting the RESEP Clinic at KCH Clinic on Tuesday, February 9. For an appointment or more information, please call (435) 251-2875.