Murphy was born on June 7, 2010, and was meant to be a police K9. He was a black Labrador with a sweet, gentle personality and a good disposition. He began his service as a single purpose service dog with the U.S. Army. They soon learned he was amazing and did not like slick floors. Murphy served in the Army for about a year before he was re-assigned to the Utah Adult Probation and Parole Department.

Murphy attended narcotics training in northern Utah. His new handler changed his name to Eni because his daughter could not say Murphy. Eni was re-assigned again after a year because Adult Probation and Parole lost funding for him.

His next assignment was with the Washington County Sheriff’s Department, where he served in the jail. He and his new handler went back to northern Utah for another round of narcotics training. While serving with Washington County, Eni developed heartworm and was scheduled to be put down.

Best Friends Animal Society heard about Eni and offered their assistance in treating the heartworm. Within two weeks of treatment, he was free from this disease and was available for adoption. Best Friends was aware of Eni’s service record and knew he would be an asset to the local area. They offered to adopt him to the Fredonia Marshal’s Office.

Deputy JD Horlacher became Eni’s new handler in 2014. JD began researching Eni’s service, and after discovering his original name was Murphy, he changed it back.

JD and Murphy went to narcotics training in Tucson, Arizona for two months. During their time there they bonded very well and were able to assist the local agencies in Tucson. They located over 300 pounds of marijuana, and found themselves in the middle of a prison riot.

During his five years with the Fredonia Marshal’s Office, Murphy was an asset not only to the Town of Fredonia, but to several local agencies, including Page Police, Kanab City Police, Kane County Sheriff, Utah Highway Patrol, Coconino County Sheriff, Mohave County Sheriff, Arizona Department of Public Safety, Bureau of Land Management, U.S. Forest Service and the Bureau of Indian Affairs.

Murphy was loved by everyone. All he wanted was his ball, and to be scratched. Murphy did so much in the local communities and the surrounding area.

On April 26, 2019, Murphy was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer and was given six months to a year to live. On April 29, 2019, Murphy was laid to rest with no more pain. Murphy will surely be missed and loved by everyone who knew him.