Southern Utah News Articles
Battle of the Bands winners
Another successful year of the Battle of the Bands. Twelve great bands, from many different towns within the western states, came to compete for the 2016 first place title and hundreds of dollars in prizes.
Bands were judged in six different categories by three local judges. The final judgement counted for 75% of the final score. The other 25% of the score was by the audience after they bought a T-shirt and filled out a ballot they received. As it turned out, those ballots really had a contributing affect on the final score. Bands had a 40-minute time slot to perform for the judges and audience.
People listened to bands play at the north main plaza right in the middle of the festival, taking place both days of the festival. Some audience members even danced and really got into the performances.
After two days and 12 different bands playing, three finalists were determined. In third place, ‘Aura Surreal,’ a hard rock band from Hurricane. ‘Aura Surreal’ performed an electrifying show, with head shaking and loud screams. They took third place and received a check for $500.
The second place recipient, ‘Float the Boat,’ an alternative band from South Salt Lake, received a $750 check. ‘Float the Boat’ showcased strong musicianship and presentation, really catching the judges’ and audience’s attention.
In the lead, the 2016 Balloons and Tunes Battle of the Band’s first place winner, ‘buckit,’ a classic rock band from Flagstaff, Arizona. ‘buckit’ had a great performance, captivating the attention of the judges and audience. Many got into their performance. Their stage presence, personality, and musicianship was showcased as they performed. ‘buckit’ received $1500 for winning the ‘Battle!’
The top three finalists got to perform a second time for the audience on Saturday night. Starting with ‘Aura Surreal,’ then ‘Float the Boat,’ and wrapping up the night with ‘buckit.’
This year’s Battle of the Bands was a true success, running smoothly and operating as a well-oiled machine. All bands had a great time performing, and wish to come back next year. Hope to see everyone back out during the 2017 Third Annual Balloons and Tunes.