Kanab, Utah's Weekly Newspaper, Serving Kane County, Utah & the Arizona Strip
Calendar of Events
Southern Utah News Front Page: February 4, 2016
Kanab businessman perishes in fire
A wood burning stove was the cause of Friday night’s fire. Photo courtesy of Kanab City Fire Department.
Kanab City Fire Department and Kanab City Police Department are currently investigating a fatal fire that occurred at 510 North 100 West in Kanab. The Utah Office of the Medical Examiner has released identification information. The name of the victim is Logan S. Brown, age 37, Kanab Utah.
At approximately 10:33 p.m., on January 29, 2016, Kane County Dispatch Center received a 911 call reporting a structure (shop) on fire. Prior to the first initial units arriving to the scene of the fire, there was a report of an individual possibly still being in the structure.
Emergency responders arrived on scene to find the structure fully engulfed. Due to the progression of the fire, firefighters were unable to perform any search until the fire was contained. After containment, emergency personnel located human remains in the structure and they were turned over to the Utah Office of the Medical Examiner for identification.
“This is the first structure fire fatality we’ve had since records began being kept,” said Joe Decker, Chief of the Kanab City Fire Department. “This is devastating on the family and also difficult for the firefighters who were on scene.”
The cause of the accidental fire has been determined to be a wood stove that was to close to combustible materials that had been charred from a previous incident.
Chief Decker mentioned the following agencies who were involved and assisted in the incident: Kanab City Fire, Fredonia Fire Department, Utah State Fire Marshals Office, Kanab City Police, Fredonia Marshals Office, Kane County EMS and the Utah Office of Medical Examiner.
A candlelight vigil was held for family and friends on Sunday at the baseball fields at the city park. Even though it was raining, the event was well-attended.