Southern Utah News Articles
Top Stories for September 14, 2011
Commissioners - rescind the raises!
I thought the current Kane County Commissioners were doing an excellent job…until last Tuesday’s Public Hearing on the proposed elected officials salary increases. Honestly, an 85% raise? Effective October 1, 2011, their salary will go from $21,000 to $39,000 per year. Not only did they raise their own salaries, but they also gave the other six elected officials each almost $10,000 per year in raises! The total package includes $112,000. This is salary only, not including any other benefits!
I think the commissioners'' minds were made up BEFORE the public hearing, and they knew exactly how they were going to vote. Why schedule a ‘Dog and Pony’ show that lasted three hours before the hearing? Was it just to wear everyone down? There were over one hundred people there at the start of the 7 p.m. meeting to offer input, but only a handful stuck it out until the end. I’m sure you would''ve heard many more oppose your raise, if you would have given them a chance.
Ten reasons why you should NOT
give yourself an $18,000 per year raise!
1) We are in the middle of the worst recession since the Great Depression. The timing could not be any worse!
2) Almost one out of every 10 people in the country is out of work. Most would love to have a job, any job, at any salary. Two of my sons were recently laid off and are looking for jobs. Bank of America announced on Monday that they were laying off 30,000 employees.
3) Those that are working wouldn''t even think about asking for a raise until the economy bounces back.
4) At the last commission work meeting, you were told there was a 90% chance the county would not receive any PILT money next year. For those of you that don’t know what PILT is, it’s Payment in Lieu of Taxes. Twelve western states, that have a large amount of land owned by the federal government, are given PILT money to help offset the loss in personal property taxes. We received one million dollars so far this year. How will you pay for your $112,000 raise when we are already a million dollars in the hole?
5) You all knew what the salary was when you ran for office. Yet nine months later, you don’t think it’s enough!
6) I don''t care what other counties are paying their elected officials. If you want the salaries paid in Beaver or Millard County, move there!
7) Other county and state entities are cutting wages...yes you heard me commissioners...they are cutting wages, not raising them. (Just ask Mark Gilberg).
8) All the commissioners stated they did not like the arrangement where they had to give themselves a raise…then don’t!
9) I’m sure everyone would love to give themselves an 85% raise, but it’s not fiscally responsible to do so, especially for a government entity.
10) It’s just not the right thing to do!
Commissioners, it’s not too late! You can rescind the raises! You have the power!
Anyone who agrees with me, please call the commissioners and let them know how you feel!
Commissioner Jim Matson 644-8841
Commissioner Dirk Clayson 616-1234
Commissioner Doug Heaton 648-2567