Southern Utah News Articles
Healthy Kane County Survey results
The Healthy Kane County Coalition (HKCC) was formed in September of 2015 following the success of the Kanab Healthy Living Challenge. The HKCC is a group of community partners from both the public and private sectors. Our mission is to increase opportunities for achieving a healthy lifestyle in the greater Kanab area by providing education and support, developing infrastructure, and enhancing skills.
Last November, the HKCC distributed a survey to area residents to find out what needs the community has regarding healthy lifestyle. We had 303 survey respondents and highlights of the results include:
1. An overwhelming majority of respondents are either interested or very interested in improving their overall health.
2. When asked to “select the three activities that you are interested in,” the number one response was safe walking and biking paths, number two was hiking, and number three was fitness classes.
3. When asked to “select the three educational classes that you are most interested in,” the number one response was healthy recipe classes, number two was nutrition classes, and number three was cooking classes.
4. People are most interested in attending classes on a monthly basis (versus more or less frequently).
5. Time, lack of motivation, and lack of infrastructure, are the top three barriers listed preventing area residents from being physically active.
6. Time, cost, and lack of planning are the three top barriers listed that prevent area residents from eating nutritious meals.
We are grateful to everyone who filled out the surveys. As the HKCC moves forward, we plan to use this information and work with the community to achieve our vision, which is, “To become a community that knows how to live a healthy lifestyle.”
If you are interested in joining the Healthy Kane County Coalition, please call the Southwest Utah Public Health Department at 644-2537.