Southern Utah News Articles
Raising Kane - Promote your favorite personality and win JHD Essay Contest
Do you have ties to Kane County, Utah? Are you passionate about the area and its people? Do you have a favorite Kane County character that you would like to promote? If so, this may be your big break.
As part of the Jacob Hamblin Days (JHD) festivities, we proudly announce the inaugural Jacob Hamblin Days Essay Contest. To enter, simply pick an actual Kane County personality – past or present – that you believe is deserving of a bit more praise or limelight, and pen an essay of no more than 1000 words about that person.
There are two contest divisions: One is for high school juniors and seniors. The winner of the high school division will receive a $500 scholarship. The second division is for adults. The winner of the adult division will receive a portable Neo Alphasmart word processor.
More about the contest and how to enter:
1. Attach a cover sheet that includes the title of the essay and the name of the essayist.
2. Include the title of the essay on each page of the essay. The name or any other information that identifies the essayist must not be included anywhere except on the cover sheet.
3. Entrants must have some tie to Kane County, which is to be exposited on the cover sheet of the essay.
4. Only one submission allowed per essayist.
5. Essays must be submitted electronically (Word or jpeg preferred).
6. Maximum length is 1000 words.
7. Entry deadline is 11:29 p.m., on May 26, 2013.
8. Winners to be notified on June 10.
9. Winners to be announced June 12.
10. Winners will read their essays at the Jacob Hamblin Days celebration on June 12.
So get those keyboards clacking and best of luck to each contestant. If you have questions, please send them via e-mail to KentDouglass@gmail.com.